Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bugs and Butterflies

We had such a great time with butterflies this past week that I couldn't wait to share with you!




Music
A Little Caterpillar
Song:(tune of itsy bitsy spider) 
A little caterpillar curled up under a leaf                               
(hold out hand for leaf, wiggle finger on other hand for worm)
It formed a little chrysalis and then it fell asleep                   
(lead head on hands in sleeping action)    
It grew and it changed and the days flew right on by          
(move hands upward and then spread apart)
And when it POPPED out of the chrysalis                              
(cup hands together and then pop them apart)
It was a butterfly!                                                                 
(cross your thumbs and flap hands like butterfly)     


Baby Bumble Bee
I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me
I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee
OUCH, it stung me!
I'm squashing up a baby bumble bee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me
I'm squashing up a baby bumble bee
EWW it's messy!
I'm wiping off a baby bumble bee
Won't  my mommy be so proud of me
I'm wiping off a baby bumble bee
LOOK! All clean!


 Play-dough center
 I cut a large leaf out of a green table cloth (dollar tree table cloths are a staple for me) and gave them butterfly cookie cutters and encouraged them to make eggs, caterpillars, and butterflies to add to the leaf.
Science Center
Along with all of the real bugs that we have found outside on our adventures, we have a life cycles theme box that have several interactive activities with bugs and butterflies.
Sensory Table
I filled our sensory table with green easter grass and 10 green plastic bugs. The children used tweezers to pick up the bugs and place them in a bug jar.They had a blast trying to find them and some clever ones looked under the table (which has a clear tub) to spot the bugs. When they found all ten then they had to hide them for the next group.
Math
We used our big box of plastic bugs to make math more fun during our bugs and butterflies theme! I made ten jar print outs, each with a different number, and the children placed the correct number of bugs on each jar. We sorted the bugs by category and even made bug patterns! I also used several print offs from the PreKinders site, such as the bug grids and bug bingo (WONDERFUL resource).
Art
B is for Butterfly
We discussed that butterfly begins with the letter B. We talked about the B sound, and other things that started with the letter B also. Then we took letter B cutout, decorated them with markers and sequins, then added a popcicle stick with a smiley face and antennae. Cute butterflies.
Class Caterpillar
I made a green circle cutout for each child, and kept one to make a head for the caterpillar with large google eyes, popcicle sticks and pom pom balls. I gave the students lots of craft materials and they decorated the caterpillars body anyway they wished. Then we added all of our circles together to complete our caterpillar and put him in the hallway! They loved how long he turned out. Great collaborative project.
Caterpillar Circles
I squirted several colors of paint onto paper plates with lots of circular items that the children could paint with...then i asked them to make their own caterpillar (we added features with a black marker when the paint dried). Then they used forks and green paint to make grass, and they added a yellow circle at the top for a sun! 


Group Time
After reading "From Caterpillar to Butterfly" I asked the children if they remembered how a butterfly's life cycle went. Then I brought out some colorful scarves used for music time, and a large brown blanket. I asked on of my children to curl up into a little ball because they were a tiny egg on a leaf. Then I asked them to stretch out and "hatch" from their egg, crawl around and eat their leaf because they were now a caterpillar. Then I lay out the blanket a placed the scarves inside. The child got in the blanket and we wrapped her up in her "chrysalis". Lastly we asked her to break from her chrysalis and wave her scarves around like a beautiful butterfly! The children loved acting this out, and it really helped them to remember the life cycle. Afterwards I placed these items in our dramatic play area.
Literacy


No comments:

Post a Comment